Artsfest on Walnut Street, southwest Missouri’s largest fine arts festival, kicked off on Saturday, May 5. The first day of the event drew thousands of patrons who enjoyed an extensive art selection, performances from musicians and dancers on six stages, food from more than a dozen vendors and a variety of family-friendly activities. More than 140 artists from across the nation displayed and sold their art in mediums including wood, glass, clay, printmaking, paper, jewelry, photography, metal, painting, drawing, fiber and more. The artists competed for nearly $5,000 in cash awards donated by local art lovers. Painter Kwang Cha Brown of Bloomington, Indiana took home the coveted $1,000 award for Best of Show, sponsored by Neanie Squires.
The following artists also claimed awards:
- Best of 3D (sponsored by John & Beth Raidel): Dan Welty
- Best of 2D (sponsored by Ed & Phoebe Rice): Vodka Bacon Studios
- Virginia Bussey Memorial Award (sponsored by Anna Squires and Lisa Blumenstock): Pen Brady
- Award of Excellence (sponsored by Hood Rich Architecture): Andy Von Schyndle
- Award of Excellence (sponsored by the Family of Bob White): Lois Neal
- Award of Excellence (sponsored by Gailey’s and Rob & Sally Baird): Funky & Flash
- Award of Excellence in Ceramics (sponsored by L&R Specialties, Springfield Blue Print and Maschino’s): Kent Kraus
- Award of Excellence (sponsored by Winter & Marshall Kinne, Med-Pay, Inc.): Wire Wrapped by Marina
Artsfest is presented by Great Southern Bank and the Springfield Regional Arts Council and managed by the Downtown Springfield Association. ArtsFest is also made possible through the generous support of the following sponsors: TransLand, University Plaza Hotel, Positronic Industries, Wendy's, 417 Magazine, Heart of America Beverage, Ozarks Coca-Cola/Dr. Pepper Bottling Company and DeLong Plumbing. To see a full sponsor list, click here.