Neosho Arts Council is pleased to present the 24th Annual Thomas Hart Benton Art Competition and Exhibition. Works will be displayed at the Big Spring Gallery inside the Neosho Area Chamber of Commerce. Artists are eligible to enter in either the "Emerging" category or "Professional" category. The "Emerging" category is for artists who are students or who are not represented by galleries or have held professional exhibitions. The "Professional" category is open to all artists. Emerging artists who win First Place or Best of Show previously in this competition will be considered Professional Division entrants thereafter. All entries must be original works by the artist, not previously entered in this competition or shown at the Big Spring Gallery, and completed in the past three years.
Open to artists 18 years of age and older | Emerging or Professional
Media: Open to original 2D works including painting, drawing, printmaking, mixed media, pastels, etc. No photography, digital works, giclees, high relief works, or 3D works.
Judge: Christina E. Burke has been Curator of Native American and Non-Western Art at Philbrook since July 2006. During that time she has helped acquire three major collections of Native art, curated exhibitions and installations, and helped develop the satellite facility Philbrook Downtown (opened in June 2013) which houses the museum’s Native American collection, as well as library and archival materials related to the collection. As a cultural anthropologist with an interest in Native art and material culture, she has extensive museum experience (beginning in 1988) including at the National Museum of Natural History and the Heritage Center at Red Cloud Indian School on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. She has worked on a variety of collaborative projects with Native people and written extensively on historical and contemporary Native art.
Entry Fees: Up to two entries per artist will be accepted. Enter online at www.neoshoarts.net. Entry fee is non-refundable.
- Circle of Patrons Artist Members Early Bird Registration (online only): $15.00 for one entry, $20.00 for two entries.
- Non-Members Early Bird Registration Fee (online only): $20.00 for one entry, $25.00 for two entries.
- At The Door Registration Fee (Cash or Card Only, No Checks): $30 for one entry, $40 for two entries.
Artists are encouraged to take advantage of the Early Bird Registration at neoshoarts.net. This means you will have paid your entry fee and registered your works online before the drop off dates. Early registration is only available online. Artists not wanting to take advantage of this option will fill out a registration form and pay their entry fee during the drop off dates.
Drop Off/Pick Up: All entries must be dropped off Thursday August 29 from 4:00 to 6:00pm or Friday August 30 from 4:00pm to 6:00pm at the Big Spring Gallery located at 216 West Spring Street, Neosho, MO 64850. No early drop off or late entry will be accepted. Works must stay in place the entire show (all of September and October). No early pick ups.
August 25 - Deadline for Early Bird registration
(via neoshoarts.net only)
August 29 - Drop Off of Entries 4:00pm to 6:00pm
August 30 - Drop Off of Entries 4:00pm to 6:00pm
September 14 - Awards Presentation and Critiques 2:00pm
September 14 - Public reception at 3:00pm
October 25 - Pick Up of Entries 4:00pm to 6:00pm
$500 Best of Show (from either Professional or Emerging categories)
$250 First Place $150 First Place
$200 Second Place $100Second Place
$150 Third Place $75 Third Place
$100 Fourth Place $50 Fourth Place
Plus a wide selection of Merit Awards and the Mary Ellen Pitts Memorial Pastel Award
- The exhibit is open to all artists 18 years of age or older, amateur and professional. All entries must be original works by the artist, not previously entered in this competition or shown at the Big Spring Gallery, and completed in the past three years.
- No Diptychs or Triptychs
- All exhibited work must be: professional-quality framed or gallery wrapped (gallery wrap canvas must have the sides painted, not gesso, with choice of 1) continuation of image, or 2) solid color.) Work must be wired properly and ready for installation. No sawtooth hangers or clips hangers will be accepted. All framed works are strongly encouraged to use plexiglass. Plexi can be found at any local hardware store (Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc.) and most will cut to fit your frame for free if you take the frame in with you to assure correct sizing. Neosho Arts Council is not responsible for damage to art work or frames due to broken glass.
- Maximum size is 36 inches by 36 inches including frame. Please measure your work before arriving. We will measure all works submitted.
- Maximum weight for work is 15 Lbs. To reduce weight, replace glass with plexiglass.
- All work must be for sale with a 30% commission collected by the Neosho Arts Council.
- The Neosho Arts Council reserves the right to refuse an accepted work because of unacceptable presentation.
- All work must be family friendly: no explicit nudity or pornography
- There is a storage fee of $5 per day for works not picked up by 6:00pm October 25.
Liability: Neosho Arts Council and Neosho Area Chamber of Commerce are not responsible for loss or damage to artwork while in transit to and from the show, or while on display. The artist agrees to allow the Neosho Arts Council, at its discretion, to utilize photographs of exhibited work for publicity purposes, not for reproduction.
Everyone is invited to attend the Awards Presentation and Critiques on September 14 at 2:00pm at the Community Room of the Neosho/Newton County Library. A reception will follow with refreshments, along with a drawing for over $500 in gift certificates to various art supply stores including Guerrilla Painter and Blick Art Materials. The exhibition is open to the public of all ages, so be sure to invite your patrons and friends!